Sunday, October 13, 2013

Mixing styles, Country meets industrial meets mid century modern


 I love to change things up...often. Hubby doesn't understand this,he's an engineer. A chair is a chair, it serves a purpose, a pillow is a pillow it serves a purpose. But as a friend recently said to me. My "rooms are like my canvas" and I like to paint on my canvas. 

 I've been through several phases in my adult years. Everything from awful 80's pastel peach, to 90's froo froo country with wooden toys and framed doilies.  In the past 10 years or so I seem to have found some sort of direction.  However, some of the things I thought I would love forever and never part with seem to be loosing their luster, and I'm hankering for a change again.  The problem however, is that my furniture is still in great shape and I'm a practical person .who is not one to throw away, or give away a perfectly good piece of furniture, that I still like in some way.  So I revert to the soft furnishings for my changes. Pillows, side tables, lamps etc.
 
  I decided to play with one little corner of my office/study to show you what I mean.  First we have a traditional country type of display.  I just grabbed what I had handy and threw it together. A Wood Slat basket, is  a staple of country design (maybe not with shoes in it though),  I place it beside the big club chair that will remain in place, which is a very traditional type of furnishing, and typical of the large pieces in my home. Everything else in the photo will remain unchanged, except the blanket left there to add a warm country feel. So there is look number one, and probably the way this area has looked for many years. 

 Now for a slightly industrial update
 No much has changed, except I have an industrial stool beside the chair, and an an industrial lamp. No blanket on the chair, and only a few little changes to the other items. The rest of  this area, seen below. Shows  my missiong style desk/table with a nice vintage wood and metal school/office chair.   This is how I've lived for the past 5 years or so in my migration from traditional country, to an industrial country look.


And now I'm migrating from industrial to a bit more mid century by adding some color and fun touches here and there.
What has changed?  The side table is the biggest defining object in this space now. The wool blanket has been updated with a more colorful version, as has the reading lamp (soon to be painted an red/orange color). 
Below is a slightly wider angle with a bit of my desk, and my fun fiberglass bucket chair in bright orange. There are of course little touches here and there like the choice of books on the various side tables, and small accessories in that old telephone architectural piece that I love.
The sad part is that all of these accessories were close at hand and shows that I need to do a bit more editing around my house.  

I am doing pinterest research on how to combine styles, and if you want to follow along as I pin go here.
I have a long way to go and hope to have lots of fun getting there.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin