Friday, September 28, 2012

Just checking in

I've always been a pretty healthy person, and my experience with hospitals,   limited to having my children born, so abdominal surgery was a new experience.  Warning, I am writing this post under the influence of some pain meds, please excuse all spelling and grammar errors.
And since I am a blogger, documenting all parts of my life I thought I'd talk a little about the experience. Maybe helping someone else. I once heard that those patients who expect an easy recovery have it rougher than those that expect some form of difficulty. So I purposefully went into this preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best.  For informational purposes I had a routine Hysterectomy, and am glad for it.

Pre-op my fears were complications, infection, and anesthesia awareness.  You bet I quizzed the anesthesiologist about the awareness issue. He made me feel better and I proceeded to allow him to put me under (didn't have much choice at that point) .  I had armed myself with information by watching  youtube videos, reading articles etc. Some people would not be comfortable with that, but I like having all the information I can, albeit a little discomforting.  On a funny note, knowing the Dr would be using a camera, I asked if pictures would be taken of my insides. She said yes, and I have asked to see them. She actually took extra photos which she will show me on my follow up visit. I actually can't wait to see the inside of myself. My son however, thinks this is gross. I will not be posting these on my blog however:)
It has all been pretty strait forward and I'm happy to say I'm home and recovering nicely.  I told my hubby I needed 4 things on my bedside table "phone, remote, computer, a drink". I've added a few items to my list.  Above you see my "nest". Complete with movies, pain meds, remote, phone, computer, glasses, iced tea, long arm grabber (which i use a lot) and trash can. That pretty much sets me up from my perch for all my needs.

 A few helpful hints and unexpected surprises. (G rated surprises)

Post anesthesia gave me a hangover. Having never had a hangover I did not realize that is what I was battling. My head was spinning, light and noise were irritating (and this is when my IV bag machine started beeping incessantly) but it all lifted about an hour after I started feeling it. 

Pain has not been a huge issue. although not in the place I expected. The incisions are not a problem, but the area internally where they did the work, is very sore. I am far more mobile than I expected to be. And many movements I thought would hurt, do not .  So stairs are not as big a problem as I had expected.


The secret to getting the doctors office to call you back... Get in the shower. The secret to getting the doctor to show up to release you...call their office the second before they walk in the door. The secret to getting transferred from post op to your room...have husband leave to go to the restroom, only to return to find you gone and have to track you down. Notes for next time.

If you live in East Texas, I highly recommend Mother Frances Hospital. We had a wonderful experience.
Private room was apparently standard issue, very attentive staff that were very concerned with keeping things clean, sterile, and keeping me and my husband comfortable. There was a couch and recliner in the room for the caregivers which was a nice surprise.

So that is part of my post surgical experience so far. I will not be junking in any extreme form for at least 6 weeks. My etsy store is on vacation mode, but I will re-open is soon with the smaller non heavy items, and I have 100 items ready to list that have not yet been listed, so lots of new stuff coming.

I'm bored and so comments are welcome and enjoyed, as the computer is my best friend right now :)

Thank you,
Margo

22 comments:

Vee said...

Margo, I am delighted to wish you a speedy recovery. (I had this surgery done twenty years ago and have never, NEVER regretted it.) Get in a lot of reading and resting and may the guys wait on you hand and foot. :)

Michelle said...

Glad to hear you are recovering well. Really, the worst part is over!

Sherry@The BarnQuiltStore Blog said...

I can relate...kind of...I broke my foot on Tuesday & am now in an air cast for the next 10 weeks! I'll have to learn how to slow down!
♥'s
Sherry

marilyn said...

Here's to a speedy recovery. Lots of rest and you will be back junkin' soon. G-sales are waning down now in the PNW. But our good weather is keeping some going for now. I went to a few today and will do some more tomorrow. Take care. Marilyn

Salmagundi said...

Please continue your swift recovery! My small group of best friends all agree that when its time, this surgery is a great thing!!! Sally

Margo said...

Salmagundi, I think in the next 10 years this will be an outpatient procedure. However, it is a serious operation with lots of possible complications and should not be undertaken for just convenience sake. As I got older, problems began to arise and after discussing the options (which there are several) I opted to just take this step. I kept some of my parts however, so I don't go through dramati
c hormonal changes right away.

Michelle said...

I had a hysterectomy almost 13 years ago. I went in for a laproscopic procedure to check on an ovary, and a possible oopherectomy (ovary removal), and came out from antistesthia with an announcement that I had had a hysterectomy. OH HAPPY DAY. That was an end to almost 30 years of pain and suffering. I had endometriosis which weaved a horrible web, and that all needed cleaned up, BUT I bounced back from surgery quicker than I had ever imagined. I was off work for 4 weeks from my factory job, and back to work with no restrictions. The hardest part of recovery was when people made me LAUGH! If you have an elastic abdominal band to hold it all together, it makes recovery much easier. I only took a few pain meds after I came home, and in a week, I could do pretty much everything, being careful, of course.

Wishing you as speedy a recovery as I had. I was new to computers at that time and I learned a LOT during those 4 weeks, mostly from my mistakes (and windows 95 even---UGH!)

Be blessed,
Michelle

vintage girl at heart said...

Feel better soon and may you have a speedy recovery just remember even when you are feeling better do not over it! I did too much too soon and had to have a second surgery 5 months later!
Blessings and Happy Junkin' dreams :)!

Simply Shelley said...

I have been where you are dear friend...praying for you..a very quick recover,and much better health there after...blessings

Jane said...

Hi Margo,
Glad to read that surgery went well and you are in good hands as you recuperate. Take plenty of time for yourself as you mend. Take care.
Jane

JunkStuffTreasures said...

Wishing you well as you recuperate. Take advantage of the down time- it doesn't happen often!

Nadine @ Chic with the Kool-Aid Mustache said...

Milk your recovery for as long as you can with the hubby! lol Like others have sad before, I had the surgery and I haven't looked back. Hope your recovery is swift and problem free...just think of the hours on Pinterest you can spend now!

Maureen Hayes said...

Hi, I too had a hysterectomy, back when I was 33 and have never regretted it! I am glad you had a good experience in the hospital and even bladder for you that you are home! Take it easy, do what the doctor says and try to rest! You are lucky to have the computer, I didn't have that option while I was recovering!

I will be praying for you quick and complete recovery. We miss ya, but we want the best for you, so don't rush back!

Hugs,
Maureen

THE ROCKLADY said...

Hope you are continuing to improve and will be out on the "junk trail" again soon. Best Wishes from the YARD SALE QUEEN in Ky.

Sueann said...

I have had so many surgeries...I cannot count. But of them all...I only had one minor complication which turned out to be no biggy!!
Glad to hear you are recovering nicely and what a cool thing to have near...a reacher!! Good for you
Be well and don't be in a hurry to rush back into the rat race. Take your time and be good to yourself.
Hugs
SueAnn

Diane in the Valley said...

glad everything went ok and you are home recuperating. Here's to a speedy recovery. From reading your blog and JR I can imagine you are having a hard time just sitting still but I'll bet the brain is working overtime on new ideas. Relax, it will all be there when the time is right for you to be back up at it. Take Care. Diane

Prior said...

so glad you are doing well, dig through your photos and blog a lot, I am sure there are many cool things you never had time to post!
Lezlee

" SHABBY JUNK" said...

Glad u are ok , maybe u can get some small projects done while in bed. Feel better soon!

Vickie said...

So good hear you're mending well, Margo - it'll be the best thing you ever did! I was elated after I had mine and I have never felt better! Now take it easy and let people wait on you! You can take advantage for about 6 weeks. Don't overdo it - you're going to think you feel great, but you're going to tire easier for a few weeks after that.

The Whistle Stop said...

Hi Margo! Oh, this post is too funny, but oh so true!...especially about the doctors! I've spent many a time in hospitals... some myself and a lot with other family members. I had my hysterectomy at 40 and oh so glad I did! Take the time to recover and you'll be feeling great in no time.
Take care!
Laurie :)

Unknown said...

I can't believe we're going through the same thing. What I mean by that is that I sometimes think I'm the only person in the world (ha ha, but in a way true). I had my hysterectomy the last monday in september. Right now I'm feeling pretty good and I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I'm still waiting for test results but in the meantime I'm induldging myself by checking on all my favorite bloggers. Heal well Sister.

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

I'm GLAD it went well for you Margo....!!

You are MUCH braver than I though....I'm more of the opinion the LESS you know the LESS to FREAK YOU OUT....And I TOTALLY agree with your Son....GROSS....Though coming from you I'm NOT surprised....Be CAREFUL what you ask for....Might scar you for life getting up close & personal with your innards....hahahaha....!!!!!

Take care,
Tamarah xx

Blog Widget by LinkWithin