Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Old stuff

I know that most of you, like me, like to change things up from time to time. For several years I've had this bottle drying rack, and not known what to do with it. It's been use for stockings, and thread etc, but I was never quite happy with it. One of the problems was that it was too big. So after seeing this post over at French Larkspur I had Mr R cut off 2 layers and we shortened it up a bit.
Then I added cut plants... unlike Tracy I don't have herbs growing outside my back door, and if I did they'd probably be all dead. So I grabbed some dried flowers I had around the house and a few herb-like plants and voila. Margo's version, not nearly as pretty as Tracey's but it'll do.


Do you ever have something for awhile and just not know what to do with it... and then one day it clicks. Well this little store display has been in my etsy store, unclaimed and unloved. Today I decided to bring it in, dust it off and turn it onto a useful item in my dining room. Guess what, it's no longer in my etsy store :)

So my little hutch area has changed just a bit and I'm pleased. Still trying to please Mr R and not "overdo" it. When something comes in, something else needs to go out :(

I'd like to add a paint treatment to my hutch, any ideas of color? See the green piece next to it, the table in front is the same color. I'm thinking about leaving part of the hutch natural and part of it painted. But which parts for what???? advise please.


Pre-Ordering information

I'll be opening my store for FMS Fall issue pre-orders soon. If you want them even before most of the stores get them, you can order directly from me.

Watch for details.




7 comments:

Olivia said...

For ideas on your hutch go look at a blog called Miss Mustard Seed. She does awesome paintings in the style you mentioned. I like what you did with the bottle holder.

Angela said...

I love the little display rack and the green piece is really cool with your dishes in it! I'm boring...I love white furniture.

Vintage and Company said...

I think it would great painted! Go for it!

Mona Kay Gorman said...

Ooohhh, I LOVE that hutch!! I'm seeing a nice vintage green with original wood counter-top? ...and just like most of the furniture-painting world, I'm currently in love with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint..she has some gorgeous shades of green & blue-green...
Let us know!!

Anonymous said...

Hey girlie, LOVE your hutch!!! Here's what I'd do to puch it up a little: Find some wallpaper (or even a peppy fabric remnant: maybe something Waverly?) and apply it to the visible back panels of the piece, leaving the doors natural. Maybe find some unique knobs/pulls to replace the basic wood ones, posibbly some that pick up a color from the wallpaper. If you can't find some, you could handpaint a complementary design on some plain white ceramic knobs... just my ideas!!

Jill said...

Another thought on your hutch...what about removing the inside panels of the upper doors and perhaps the bottom doors too and replace with either pieces of patina rich metal, tin, or maybe old screening. Then I'd paint it. (maybe distressed black?)

Dodie said...

If that hutch were mine I would never paint it. It is beautiful just the way it is. Maybe wax or varnish but no color please. Just my idea along.
I love what you do with all this old junk. I would never think of any of it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin