Saturday, October 6, 2007

Bird Cage Project

I know you've seen this before, but I thought I'd post my version. Now I mistakenly posted this as a quick project on my web page, and it is NOT.


First I removed the bars that I did not need. The easiest way to do this is to cut them in the middle and then twist back and forth until they break off. Then I spray painted it white. Then I found some dowels, only my dowels were not round they were square. I notched them so that they would rest on the horizontal bars securely. Then I cut scrap wood so that it would fit inside and rest on the bars. Then I painted these parts white and wedged them in there. You have to feed all of this through the bottom of the cage. for the bottom piece, I was running out of thin wood, so I just attached several 1x4's to each other and added 1x1 to the bottom of them to lift them up a bit.
If I were to lift the cage, the bottom shelf would fall out, it is not really attached.



So there you have it. A bird cage desk organizer, or in this case, Scrapbook ribbon organizer. I like the way the ribbon feeds through the slats. I could add a dowel for the ribbon to spin on, but I won't at this time. I've also seen people add a postage stamp dispenser and scissor holder to the sides. Hope it was worth the wait.

I saw a similar one in the
Ballard Designs catalog for $89.00, can you believe it.


I'll be posting another birdcage project as next week's quick project, and it really is a quick project.


till tomorrow

Margo

7 comments:

Simply Me Art said...

Margo, Great Job... I Love what you did. I am sure it was Not Easy at all...

Anonymous said...

BRILLIANT!!

Vee said...

Over the past couple of months, I have enjoyed visiting your blog on nearly a daily basis. You, my dear girl, help me to think outside the box. For example, I am thanking you for the idea I had to turn an antique medicine chest into a key holder by the door.

Today's offering is no exception! I am going to be keeping my eyes open for a bird cage while visiting the flea market later today. ;>

Margo said...

Oh Vee, that is the nicest thing to say. Thank you for taking the time to post to my blog with your kind words.
I'd love to see the medicine cabinet/key holder. Maybe use it on my web site.

Margo

TinaTx said...

That turned out really cute! Great job. Can't wait to see what you do with the other one.

Rosemary said...

Margo,
A great idea again. It's so cute and practical. I love it.
89.00 is nuts!!
Have a great Sunday. And yes, my daughter and I were wearing sweatshirt jackets yesterday. It was a bit chilly in the morning.
We had a fun time at the pumpkin farm.
Rosemary

Michelle said...

You are so creative! I've been reading your past posts and love all your ideas..

Blog Widget by LinkWithin